Monday, October 13, 2008

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Tortilla Soup

This is the BEST Tortilla Soup you will ever eat.... Its seriously AMAZING!!! mmmmmmm! but you have to make it according to directions... once you think you are all bad ass and start "substituting" is when you jack it up... so be a peach and just follow the RULES! My Grandma I think got this recipe from the newspaper... but I am not sure!! All I know is its so good and Easy to make !!

Cooking time: 45 minutes


1/2 c. Chopped Onion
1 clove garlic
1Tbsp butter
* Saute all together
about 2c shredded chicken
1/2 can Homony or corn
3 1/2c. Chicken Broth
1/4c. Cilantro
1 Tbsp ground Oregano
1- 14oz can Diced tomatoes
1- 8oz can tomato sauce
1- 4oz can diced green chili's (drained)

optional: add carrots & cabbage

Topping: shredded jack cheese and tortilla chips

What I do is get a big soup pot, saute the onions, garlic, & butter then just add all the other stuff in after the sauteing is done! then I let it cook on low heat for 30 minutes then I serve in bowl with shredded jack cheese and some tortilla chips! I also add avocado if I have one around! MMMM so yum!

16 comments:

Rachel said...

mmmmm yeah, i saw another recipe for tortilla soup on someone's blog...but what about us vegetarians that aren't gonna eat shredded chicken? what then, miss "no substitions"?? just kidding, i don't cook anyway!

Katie Kutthroat said...

i have never had a tortilla soup without chicken.. somethings just aren't meant for vegetarians.. i use to make almost this exact recipe at the red star.. we made it from scratch and t was yummy! i will have to try your recipe!

Shannon said...

Yummy! I am absolutely going to make this.

Anonymous said...

That looks so good! And I was just looking on ALL RECIPES for a good recipe for this!

sewitsforyou said...

sounds yummy. I will have to try and make it sometime. The hubby won't eat it but I will!

Sticks and Stones Hemp said...

yummmm! The picture alone makes my mouth water! I will def be trying out the recipe!

Rachel said...

Pshhh! you can make ANYTHING vegetarian! the restaurant will works at makes vegetarian tortilla soup

Katie Kutthroat said...

yea i was vegetarian for five years..and vegan for a year and a half.. i know you can make anything vegetarian but it doesn't taste the same. it wouldn't have that yummy chicken flavor.. that is all i was implying.

Brook said...

Rachel- I am sure there is a vegetarian tortilla soup out there wahoos makes one that is DELISH! But since chicken broth is the main ingredient this one obviously isn't vegetarian... thats probably why my boyfriend loves it... he is a carnivore...

Katie- do try and tell me what you think!

Shannon- thank you so much for visiting my blog and making my hat pattern!! so cute!!

rubyredruca- try this one!! its ssoooo good... for all I know it might be on allrecipes... but I don't think so. Maybe I should add it to my profile!!!

sewitsforyou- yes do try! maybe you can make it when you make tacos or something!

sticks and stones hemp- mmm doesn't it look so good!! thanks for visiting my blog!

Rachel said...

i have to disagree, (not with you brook!) i've been a vegetarian for the past 5 years as well as vegan or vegetarian all throughout high school. i think vegan/vegetarian foods taste just as good, if not better than dishes with meat.

Rachel said...

ALSO! Brook some woman at my school brought tortilla soup one day with NO tortilla strips or chips or ANYTHING! i was like this is not tortilla soup, you dumb cunt! then i punched her. ok, the last part didn't happen, but the rest did!

Brook said...

WHOA!! NO more CHICKEN FIGHTS!!!

Mr X Stitch said...

Could you use some kind of fake chicken instead? I have a problem eating chickens cos I own them... :?

Katie Kutthroat said...

if you were wanting to go with something other than chicken and veggie friendly i would recommend maybe setain.. has a similar texture

Mr X Stitch said...

Cool, thanks.

Anonymous said...

I made this soup for my whole family and it was fantastic!! There weren't even leftovers they loved it so much! My mom was a bit skeptical about how short it cooks but she had 2 bowls!! Thank you for the recipe!~